Pretend play is a great way to spark creativity, nurture imagination, and build upon thinking and language skills. Using simple, everyday supplies (recycled materials for the win!) create this Butterfly Masquerade Mask for your kids to play with all summer long.
What You’ll Need:
Scissors or craft knife
Contact paper (or clear packing tape)
Creating the mask:
FIRST, with help from a Grown-Up:
- Cut the paper plate in half and cut out the inside using a craft knife.
- Hot glue the round end of the two plate halves to a craft stick (one on each side).
- Fold the pipe cleaner in half and bend each end to make a circle shape.
- Hot glue the folded end of the pipe cleaner to the top of the craft stick.
- Place contact paper or clear packing tape across the hole in each plate half.
Now this part is just for kids:
- Decorate your butterfly by placing tissue paper on the sticky side of the contact tape.
- Use your butterfly as a mask by looking through the pipe cleaner antennae!
- Take your mask outside, use your imagination, and explore the world as a beautiful butterfly!